Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Paddys Day in Korea


I'm pretty sure there's millions of people in the world today celebrating St. Patricks day, but I wonder what percentage of these people actually know who St. Patrick is or what he did. I had to write down the story of St. Patrick in simple English to give out to the teachers at my school so they could read it to the Korean kids. I knew the general idea, but definitely had to research a little for the exact details. The Korean kids weren't too bothered by the first half of the story, except for the fact St. Patrick was stolen from Wales by Irish Pirates. I knew there was a reason Pirates talked in mumble like they did... they were Irish... duh! Anyways, the kids loved the 'banished all the snakes away from Ireland' part. My elementary kids asked me "Is this a real story?", "Did the snake really talk to him?". aaaand of course I told them "yeah, we love St. Patrick, cause we hated those talking snakes, they never shut up!!"

So since I was working late on the official Paddys day, I had my Paddys Day party last Saturday night at the 'Irish Girls' apartment. It was great craic! We sang and danced to the best Irish music, none other than Westlife, Bewitched, Mark McCabe and The SawDoctors (Kate, I sang SawDoctors in your honor!). Then when we had wrecked the heads of their neighbours enough we headed downtown to 'Songs' the German Bar, and then onto 'Fish & Grill' till 6am.


[Me, Charlene, Edel & Claire]


[We even had the owner of 'Songs'... Mr. Song, full of Irish Spirit]

[Me, Charlene & Kelsey (who is the newest addition to Avalon English)]

Last night, for the official St. Paddys Day celebration we went for a few local drinks to 'RedMonkey' where Kelly brought the green food dye for our beer!! Yay!!!

I hope wherever you were in the world you had a GREAT DAY!!! xxx

1 comment:

Triona said...

Brilliant Lisa!!! Well, your Dad & I celebrated St. Paddys day in Orlando Florida - made a change from the usual parade in Dublin City! NOthing as exciting as yours, but our English neighbour, invited us in for a bbq and made an Irish desert for us, which consisted of green jelly,yellow custard and cream!! Great fun!!
And today Ireland won 'The Grand Slam' in rugby, first time in 61 years!! Beat England,Scotland,Wales,France & Italy!! Yay!!

Love you Lisa - Mam x