Friday, March 27, 2009

The Tables have Turned.


I spent the past week covering classes for Justin. Friend, runner, artist... on top of my own classes. Himself & Caitlin have gone to Bali but should be flying back as I write. We don't have substitute teachers here, everyone picks up the slack. I had to cover classes of which our eldest kids attend. Named the Nok-Ji-Won classes. They are mainly 16 year olds. I had to remind them that I also went to school once upon a time. So I know all the tricks.
The earphones up your sleeve & into your ear trick. Check. The pretending to write with my left hand while my right hand is busy texting on my phone trick. Check. The "if I put my hand over my face, she wont know I'm sleeping" trick. Check. My Dad actually taught me that last trick at Church. Catholic Church was never very inspirational. As for class tricks, I could go on.

Teaching the older kids made me miss my Elementary classes. Where I tell stories & they hang on my every word, where I joke, make amusing faces & they are not embarrassed to speak English. Not at that awkward, insecure, self aware stage. Where I can be stern & funny at the same time & they learn English in a fun atmosphere verses a lecture. I am NOT the lecturing teacher type. One of the Nok-Ji-Won kids told me "I feel like I'm in a game show. Your like a game show host". I guess that's the energy that works with my younger kids.

I love teaching kids. Kids are kids wherever you go. Whatever the culture. I love kids. But I also like giving them back to their rightful owners at the end of the day. I love teaching kids about what I'm passionate about. I miss sharing my horse knowledge with them. I feel like I've accomplished a lot more when I help a kid overcome a fear, create a bond with an animal, gain a sense of trust and make a lasting memory. I don't feel like I have achieved anything teaching children the different parts of a bicycle in English.

The classroom is too confined for me but I'm glad I have had a chance to experience it.
By each life experience, I edge closer to the realisation of what I want to work at and what I want my life to be. I change my mind regularly. Chronic Dissatisfaction. Boredom of routine.
I have come to accept that there's a lot more to experience on my journey until I stand still.
By standing still I'm referring to staying in one spot. One place. Satisfaction. A sense of continual accomplishment. Daily. I will find it.

3 comments:

Áine said...

Lisa you were in a very deep mood when you wrote this werent ya!!love ya loads thanks again for me B-Day pressies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JUSTIN said...

thanks for covering my classes...those nokjiwon kids are so englightening haha

Triona said...

Ha ha Lisa - Ainsey was right, very deep writing there!!!!!! Where's the funny bits??

Mam x