Monday, January 19, 2009

Face-Masks & Animal Hats

So I'm officially here in Korea two months. I've overcome the dreadful culture shock, not too much about Asia can shock me anymore. Well... I am heading to Seoul this weekend so I may eat those words. I have seen alot of wierd shite here so far though, on par or maybe stranger than NYC. Shane & I spotted the "Seal people" downtown, I was gonna take a picture but Shane said it would be rude, so you'll just have to imagine them. I'm pretty sure they can't walk, instead of wheelchairs, they have a seal suit made out of grey rubber and they roll around on wheels horizontal on their bellies. Also they push a small money box, which is also on wheels infront of them, which has a Korean sign (obviously I can't read it), which probably says "... Seals need money too..". I know I know I'm going to hell.

So lets start with facemasks. They are my favourite. Koreans, both young and old like to wear "face-masks". They wear them if they're sick to keep their germs to themselves, which is very polite of them, haha. But they also wear them to protect themselves from everyone elses germs. Someone needs to explain how a thin piece of cotton can't possibly save you from the world of germs... and also inform them of how ridiculous they look.

[Here is a pic, for your viewing pleasure, of me wearing a face-mask I got free on a cereal box]


Another typical Korean 'winter' fashion is the Animal hat, which is also worn by both young and old people. They are literally hats of animals heads, well not 'real' animals, ah just look at the pictures.


[I'm pretty sure the cigarette is ruining his "look"]

[Even Shane wears them, I'm too cool for that sort of shananigans though]

A TON of kids wear these hats, they pull em off a bit better than adults or Shane.

2 comments:

Triona said...

Ha Ha!!! Brilliant Lisa - you really should consider becoming a writer - who knows, your journalistic degree may even come in handy????

Mamx

Anonymous said...

I really hope you sent a copy of this to all of Shane's mates in Texas. He'll never live it down.