Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I got Seoul.:.Part 1

I don't even know where to begin. Seoul is a huge City with 12 million people, yes that's right... do you know how many people are in Ireland... 4Million in the WHOLE bloody country!!! We might be small in numbers but by hell we'll kick your arse. I'm also pretty sure the Seoul subway system is bigger than Manhattans. Luckily for us, it was Chinese New Year and the majority of the Seoul population headed to their families in the countryside. We all had a brilliant weekend. I feel like this could be a LONG READ because we did ALOT in Seoul. So I'll try condense the experience, without hindering it... of course.




Let me just start by saying... we did ALOT of Subway-ing. Which was a great change from our constant crazy taxi rides in Gwangju.





[Another awesome Korean warning sign]


The only set plan for the weekend was to go to the 'Killer Party of the Year' as advertised, on Saturday night. Oh and also the weekend was set around eating our fair share of GOOD food that is not on offer in Gwangju, this included Mexican, Indian and Thai. My belly was spoiled rotten this weekend. So Myself, Justin and Matt got the train on Saturday morning. The rest of the crew had a day off on Friday so were already there. We then hopped on the subway, headed for Hongik University Area, walked around forever, met everyone, ate some Burritos and finally Caitlin used her magical powers and found us a cheap and decent motel right down the road from the club. We made our rounds, checked out the area, ate Mexican again for dinner (why not?!) and then headed for 'Four Rooms', the club. One room had live bands but they were pretty lame, so we headed for the room 'Janes Groove', it had a lingerie show, a big-screen-wii, a dance floor and some crazy Korean DJ's playing Pop and Rock, my brother would have kicked their asses on the decks!!


[Waiting on the lingerie show]




Following the lingerie show, which was quite amusing. Jesse chatted up some girls by challenging them to wii boxing, how romantic, although it worked! Then I kicked Ashleys arse on Wii boxing, mwah ha ha *evil laugh* (We were both very sore the next day, we blame Wii boxing!) We eventually headed upstairs to the 'Owl Bus' room, my favourite of the Four Rooms, it was small, retro and the DJ was playing some breakbeats and funk. Most people in the room looked very "Kate Nash". (Elizi and anyone who knows Rayanne from FV will agree... she would have LIVED in the Owl Bus Room). I felt like I was back in Phoenix, Arizona.






Just before we left we checked out the final room, which was the 'Psychedelic Zebra' room, there was a giant pillow fight in this tiny room. Ashley poked her little head in for a look and got hit smack bang square in the face with a sequent pillow, she didn't know whether to laugh or cry, it was hilarious!! In the wee hours of the morning, we left and headed for a tiny, closet sized nook bar called Vinyl, where we got cosy and drank cocktails out of plastic bags, kind of like giant Capri Suns.



[Then we left as I had eaten all the crisps provided on our table and was falling asleep]


On Sunday, it was the official Lunar New Year Holiday so there wasn't too much open. We managed to entertain ourselves anyway. We headed for 'On the Border' a Tex-Mex place. Yup MORE Mexican food, I was in my element!!! Loving it! We checked out some really random places which were closed on the back streets. We wanted to check out Dr. Fish but it was closed, it's a foot spa room. You put your grubby feet in a warm aquarium and little sucker fish eat the dead skin off your feet. How delightful eh?! I defo have to try this next time I'm in Seoul.

[An example of Dr. Fish]


[A good example of the Koreans terrible translation to English]


[Our donut friends @ Mr. Donut]



[Really sweet looking Brewery that was closed]


We decided to head to the Seoul National University and check out a William Blake Art Exhibition but we had yet another "Museum FAIL". It was closed! The boys lay in front of the doors in protest. We had a fair hike to get there and it was COLD this weekend. VERY COLD!!!




[Ashley consulting the map for our next destination]


After our 3rd Museum Fail since being in Korea, we hiked back to the subway and headed for a market, which was almost done for the night. We ran around a bit and then headed to the "foreigner area" of Seoul, Itaewon. Following a gorgeous Indian Buffet we found a Mexican joint called 'Amigos' where we threw back a few Margaritas and listened to 2 Mexican dudes, I'm pretty sure one of them was gay, sing Western songs. Day 2 in Seoul wasn't too productive but the 3rd day MORE than made up for it!



[I feel like this picture I found depicts perfectly how I feel in Korea, except for maybe Seoul, because the City is full of foreigners]

There will be a Seoul Part 2. ASAP!

8 comments:

Betsy said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG.

When I FIRST saw your owl picture I was like "Woah Rayanne would LOVE that." I almost saw her last week, but we're both slackers and it didn't happen.

SEOUL SEEMS CRAZY. I can't believe they had an olympics there. But the NYC subway is bigger (I think) from the map. If you count Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx.

I love the pictures!

I'm freaked out by it, but I totally want some Dr. Fish action. Oh and the capri sun-esque drinks...bizarre, but I'm kinda jealous, cause they look cool.

Waiting for part 2... Elizi <3

Betsy said...

PS. Maybe I'm wrong. I just re-looked at the subway map for Seoul and I think it might be crazier than NYC. My bad.

Triona said...

Excellent Lisa!!! Must get your brother to actually read your blog some time!!! Mam x

Anonymous said...

of COURSE you liked the owl room gilboa, it's in yer nature..
-emily

LISA said...

Yay Emily xxxx

Anonymous said...

Are you telling me that the best food option is Mexican or that nothing else was open because of the holiday? Are there actually Mexicans running these joints or are you chowing down on unidentified-meat burritos?

Looks like a blast. Tell Shane I miss him!

LISA said...

I'm pretty sure they were Koreans serving us. Although it was a Mexican chain Burrito place, for being in Korea.. The food was pretty kick ass. Hence why we ate there like 3 times. haha!

p.s Maybe it was dog?

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up
for the great data you could have here on this post.
I shall be coming again to your blog for more soon.

Here is my web blog ... plus size red semi formal dresses